Sunday, November 23, 2008

My other obsession

My friends and family know that besides being a little interested in journalism and news, I am pretty keen on 24. I remember thinking when it started, "a show with Kiefer Sutherland? Who cares about that Julia Roberts dumpee?" Twelve hours into the first season, I started watching. I have rarely missed an episode since, six seasons in.

They tried something new tonight with a two-hour movie. This episode is supposed to catch us up on what Jack's been doing since the end of the last season (a VERY long 18 months or so ago, thanks to a little impaired driving-induced jail time for my friend Kiefer, but only a year in tv time). It's also supposed to take us up to the beginning of the new season. The movie was just as riveting as a regular episode of 24, and it was great that they got to do something different and set the movie in Africa, without the issue of having to get Jack back to America in real time.

I enjoyed the episode for a couple of reasons. On top of being set in a fictional region in South Africa, which allowed the show to tackle the issue of child soldiers, the episode was positively brimming with Canadians. It was actually quite surprising - CP has an article that touches on it, but leaves out a few of the main players. My carefully observed list:

Kiefer, obviously. Shhh. Yes, he's Canadian. His grandfather was Tommy Douglas. That gives him and his offspring more than enough cred to be considered Canadian through another two or three generations.
Kris Lemche, aka Cute Guy God, who I didn't realize was Canadian until seeing his IMDB bio just now.
That hot chic from Young People Fucking (I swear she's gorgeous. I don't know what's up with these IDMB photos tonight...everyone looks terrible)
Gil Bellows, who hasn't looked good since Ally McBeal, but for whom IMDB does fine (there's no rhyme or reason to these photos)
And never least of all...
Colm Feore...the man who played Trudeau to excellent effect. And who also appears to have been born in America, but has lived here for 40 years, performs at Stratford and speaks French. So he is also ours.

Anyway, I'm jazzed. I can't wait for the new season. Especially after seeing the commercials for it, which focused entirely on the re-appearance of my second-favourite 24 character, who has been dead for three seasons but through the magic of being a friend of Jack Bauer's appears to be alive. This is going to be the best season ever.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Speaking of Kris Lemche, have you ever seen that movie he was in about back-to-the-land draft dogers in BC? A Simple Curve? It was really good, as I recall.

I'm shocked that Colm Feore is "not Canadian." However, in his own words: "...it was an accident of birth. I've lived in Canada for 40 years." At least he's where he wants to be.