Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Entrance exam

I like surveys. They let me give my opinion! It's like voting, but more regular. I have volunteered for a couple of different polling groups' online surveys so that I can exercise my democratic right more often. And sometimes because I feel like it gives me a heads-up on certain trends, or at least on what people are researching as trends. Once in a blue moon I get a survey on politics, like the one that asked me to choose my favourite off a list of potential federal Liberal leadership candidates, and had two surprise entries. Then I wondered which of those two had paid the polling firm to do some research on their chances.

I started filling out a monthly survey tonight. And stopped when I got to this preamble to a question (emphasis added):

In talking to people about elections, we often find that a lot of people were not able to vote because they weren’t registered, they were sick, or they didn’t have time. We also sometimes find that people who thought that they had voted actually did not vote. Also, people who usually vote may have trouble saying for sure whether they voted in a particular election.

If somebody can't tell whether they walked to the polling station, stood in line, walked behind a paper cubicle, filled out a ballot and handed it to a grumpy volunteer, I really don't mind that they *aren't* voting. If you think you voted in the election when you were actually calling in your vote for Nico, I don't mind that you missed the election.

1 comment:

Simone and Michael said...

It's probably because said people thought they were Floridians and suspected their's was the infamous hanging chad that didn't count....very confusing stuff, you know.