Sunday, January 25, 2009

Separation anxiety

I'll be meeting S. in Egypt in less than two weeks! Plans are finally coming together too, although they're completely different from what we'd originally had in mind. I should have immersed myself in the Lonely Planet guidebook sooner, but at least I've got a couple of weeks left to confirm the details.

We were talking the other day about how hard the separation has been. We've done longer - the summer we got engaged, I lived on the West Coast and he lived in Toronto for five months. We only saw each other twice in that time. The previous summer we lived apart for three months. All that to prove that we aren't just being big babies about this. But I think the reason why this has been harder is that it's come on the heels of all the wedding madness. First we had a crazy summer getting things organized (which coincided with a rather crazy summer at work for me), then the actual event itself. We went straight from our honeymoon to the federal election, so seamlessly that the prime minister made the call while we waited at the airport to leave the Caribbean. Then S. had his conflict reporting training, followed by another work trip. Five months into our marriage and we've spent less than three months of it together.

So Egypt will be like a second honeymoon, which I somehow feel is deserved, even though it's less than half-way through our first year together. Here's hoping for a much calmer February through August - no more elections, please, your excellency.

No comments: