Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Can I fit a cat in there?

I leave very soon for Egypt. The big thing it means is that I'll be seeing my husband soon! He is finished his reporting tour in Afghanistan, and will soon be replaced by another reporter from Ottawa. It will have been eight weeks since we last saw each other.

I was always a little worried about the end, because we've heard it can be hard to get back to reporting in Canada when you've seen what's happening in other parts of the world. We have so much and can get worked up over such tiny things that some reporters find it frustrating and annoying to have to write about seemingly unimportant topics. I think it'll be okay though. S was there for more deaths, and got out to the city to see a slice of normal life. But I don't think anything was jarring enough to make the transition home too hard.

For now I'm packing and making sure I take care of all my errands - laundry, tidying the apartment so we don't get back to a mess, exchanging money, etc. (Egypt will be interesting because some hotels take euros, some take US$ and for everything else we'll do best with Egyptian pounds. So I'll have a whole mix on me). I put off packing for as long as I thought I could sanely do it because le chat goes a little crazy when she sees suitcases. She seems to be okay so far though.

I also cleaned out my purse today and found six pens in it. I think I need to clean it out more often.

No comments: