Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Day One

Blech, I was very sick for a week. Life wasn't good. I could barely drag my fingers across the keyboard, not for weakness, but because I felt so blah about writing. This week is so much better though - Friday was my first day feeling almost healthy again, and then Saturday I literally danced around my apartment. Yesterday and today I've got that drive to write again - just like usual, like it's all brand new and exciting. That's a good thing because today was busy.

Yesterday was particularly good for me, partly because I only had one story to work on. It just reminded me of how it was when I first started reporting. I haven't been in the industry that long but it struck me that maybe that's how it always was on general assignment, but that the recent cutbacks have made it harder to have that luxury. I could be wrong though - maybe it was just because I was new at things that my editors limited me to one story a day.

On a related note, more(er) bad news for the industry. The Globe cuts were previously announced, and actually they had twice as many people take a voluntary buy-out as they had expected, so it wasn't quite the bloodbath they expected. But it's still bad. More details to come, I'm sure.

No comments: