Saturday, February 21, 2009

Something to bring home

Possibly the thing I love most about travelling is the food. You can't beat the fresh fruit you get in Africa, and local meals are a really nice change from whatever I'm used to cooking in Canada. But yesterday I discovered something that really made my food week.

A french-fry pita.

That's right - take a pita, add some tahini, some tomato and cucumber with coriander, and throw in a handful of crispy, golden, nicely-salted french fries. This is an incredible idea. I think we should start a franchise in Canada. Of course in Egypt it costs only about 35 cents Canadian. Charging more in Canada may be a bit of a drawback to sales. But honestly. How can you beat a sandwich made of french fries?

"I think I'm going to cry from food happiness," I said to S.

"I think I'm going to cry too, but for other reasons," he replied.

I don't care. It was delicious. I had another one today. And while I promised S. I wouldn't have another one at dinner, I don't know if that's a promise I'll be able to keep. It will be our last meal here, after all. What could be more Egyptian than felafel and a french fry sandwich?

2 comments:

Adeline L. said...

haha! they've had french fry pitas in france for a while now, i remember them from when i lived there 12 years ago - and i LOVED them! they cost 20 francs, (about 4 dollars) so perhaps it is cost feasible in canada? i'd go buy a canadian french fry pita for 4 bucks for sure!

Lindsay said...

When I was little, I remember my dad teaching me how to make a french fry sandwich - best with homemade french fries, homemade bread, and butter & ketchup. Mmmm.