Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sad news for the Hill

Updated below with more links

This news hit Ottawa reporters and photographers hard today. Tom Hanson, a 41-year-old Canadian Press photographer, died of a heart attack last night.

David Akin sums it up well. You should click through to the google image page to see his work. You may not have heard of him, but I guarantee you've seen his photos (I particularly liked the ones he took when Barack Obama visited Ottawa recently). Tom was a prolific photographer, and an incredibly talented one. On top of that, he had a photographer's knack for not backing down from a subject, but was still well-enough liked that even the prime minister joked with him (click through to the Star article for that story).

I knew Tom only to chat with him at events, but it's incredibly sad for his colleagues and family. It's also a huge loss to photojournalism. I hope someone puts together a collection of his photos so we can enjoy them in some medium other than the internet.

Update: CP has a gallery up that shows Tom's versatility and talent, and they wrote an obituary.
CBC has an article with a photo of Tom, as well as a link to a photo gallery.

1 comment:

zoom said...

Thanks for sharing the link to the gallery. I'd heard he'd died, but I didn't know who he was or have any images to associate with his name. Now I do. Some of those images will stick with me.