Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bringing down the House

Last night's episode of House caught me totally unprepared. I had heard one of the main characters would get killed off, but I sort of put it out of my head, assuming it would happen in the last episode of the season, or that there would be some kind of hint.

The good (?) news is that Kal Penn is going to work for the Obama administration. For real.

Anyway, he and the executive producers talked to a blogger about last night's episode. But I'm not sure if this explanation makes sense to me.

SHORE:
...we wanted it to be a character who didn't make sense -- or didn't superficially make sense. Obviously, there are reasons, but the notion that the reasons are too complicated for even House to figure out is what was drawing us to it. I like the fact that Kutner is almost the least likely guy to do this. And it gets down to the issue of, "Do we know anybody? You work with somebody for two years, but do you really know them?"

It sounds like they chose the plot twist and then decided to write the show around the twist, rather than letting a storyline come to its natural climax. I know nothing about tv writing, but that just seems so...gimmicky. And so unlike House.

No comments: