Wednesday, April 8, 2009

UBC gets international reporting course

I can see Carleton turning green with envy even kilometres away from campus.

Travel money for their international reporting course?

When I went to Rwanda in 2006 as part of the Rwanda Initiative, Carleton had just started an ad campaign that featured bus and tv ads with students talking about "My Carleton". Despite the best efforts of an extremely dedicated prof, most of us couldn't get any kind of funding for our trip - the only thing paid was accommodation, and that was covered by the newspaper we were writing for. Anyway, talked one hot African day about writing our own ad. Something along the lines of:

"I paid for my summer internship. I covered my flight and expenses. I gave up paid work. That's My Carleton."

The money I spent was well worth it, and I would never take back that experience. It just means that kids who can afford that type of trip will go; kids who can't don't get to participate.

It's great that UBC students won't face the same problem.

No comments: