Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The reality of freelancing

When people outside of journalism hear what I do, they often look at me quizzically and say, "So you don't know if you're working tomorrow?" I think unless you work in the industry (and sometimes even if you do), it's hard to grasp why someone would willingly do that to themselves.

I've been fortunate enough to have regular work lately. The buy-outs in the industry have certainly helped the market for freelancers, although budget cuts have hurt. But part of being able to work is not being picky. I just don't say no to any assignments, and on the days when I don't have an assignment, I look for my own stories to pitch on the slow days. Lots of people do it better than me and market versions of a story to multiple outlets, work for industry publications that pay better, or in-flight magazines and international publications that pay even better. That's just how freelancing works.

And yet. This is the downside.

In 1979, the average annual income for a freelance writer in Canada was around $25,000. In 1996 the Professional Writers Association of Canada (PWAC) conducted a new survey on rates. They found the average annual income was about $26,000. In 2006 PWAC released its latest survey results. It shows a full 61% of freelancers making under $25,000, with nearly 40% making less than $10,000. The average income had dropped to $24,000.

But these numbers only show half the picture. Between 1979 and 2006 inflation grew the cost of living by about 165%. What cost $1 in 1979 cost about $2.65 in 2006. It now takes about 65% more money just to be at the same economic level, compared to 1979. Yet freelancers are still receiving the same $1 they did thirty years ago.

The discussion I linked to is about magazine freelancing rates (and copyrights, another issue for freelancers). I'm curious about newspaper rates from back then. Something tells me that the day rate may have changed but the per word rate will be around the same.

No comments: